Saturday, December 15, 2007



Growing up as the oldest of seven children, there were always a lot of stockings hanging from our mantel at Christmas time. As we grew up and began marrying, new stockings began crowding onto that small block of wood. It didn’t take long until there was so many that that had to be tacked onto the wall above the fireplace and around it. This year, there are thirty six stockings including two for family members who have passed away in the last four years. Before my dad died, my mother took joy in filling them and we looked forward to seeing what “Santa” would bring to Grandma’s house. After the lottery came to Texas, everyone over 21 got a ticket and it was a fun contest to see who won the most money. After dad died, Mom lost a little of her spirit and found shopping a chore. She asked if we minded that she not do them anymore. We were aghast at the thought! My youngest sister was especially upset because she was pregnant with her first children (twins) and she wanted them to know the tradition that all of the older cousins had grown up with. My siblings and I have taken over this job and it is so much fun. I spent all year looking at markdown bins and the dollar area at Target looking for things that could go into 35 stockings. My sisters did the same thing. So, even though I will know what I am putting in, I will still be surprised by whatever the others contribute. We might have to start hanging stockings on window sills as the grandkids start marrying but it is a tradition that means Christmas to me.

The stocking display at my house is a bit smaller in scale. Curtis and my stockings are still the originals from when we got married and I made the girls for them when they were each born. I made Seth's a couple of years ago and the one with no name, yet, is for Joe, Karen's boyfriend. I also always have several generic stockings on hand and trinkets to put in them for whomever the girls might bring home for our annual Christmas Eve dinner.

7 comments:

Julie, aka Scrapperdays said...

Thanks for sharing that with all of us who stop by. That is a touching story. I am glad you and your siblings stepped up to help out your Mom. Traditions are started to passed along, after all. Have a great Christmas!

Anonymous said...

It must be so special to be at your home for Christmas. I love your tradition and your spirit of giving and welcoming anyone into your home, like they were family. That's awesome!

Samantha said...

What a great family tradition! I love seeing all those stockings hanging from the mantel :)

Shere said...

I love the pic of all the stockings hanging. It's great that your family is continuing the traditions of your parents! TFS and Merry Christmas.

Cheryl Wray said...

I just LOVE that picture of all those stockings!!! I think it is a WONDERFUL tradition!!!
(My Mom does the same thing for us, although it's fewer people--just 10! But my girls love opening their stockings more than anything!)

Kate O'Brien said...

Love those stockings! Looks so festive!

Linda said...

wow, that is so awesome. I love that tradition and good for you for carrying it on. That really makes me smile.