Sunday, September 7, 2008

Bridal shower stories

My sister Kathy, who is Karen's godmother, my sister in law, Georganna and Allison threw a bridal shower for Karen yesterday. They did a very nice job. The decorations were lovely. The food was yummy and abundant and much laughter and many smiles were shared as female friends and family gathered. It has been many years since I attended a bridal shower and I honestly don't remember playing any games at those I did attend or host all those years ago. Allison cooked up a few games and they made me laugh and they were pretty fun, too. We had a purse scavenger hunt where we looked for things like band aids, rubber bands, something that used to be alive, toys, batteries, magnets and a long list of other things that I certainly did not have. All I had from that list of about 30 items was a magnet (on the back of my work name tag) and batteries (in my camera). We also played wedding gift bingo and crossed off the gifts on our cards as she opened gifts. Another fun thing she did was ask Karen a series of questions abut Joe that she had previously asked him to see how many of them she answered the same. Every time, she got one wrong, she had to put a piece of bubblegum in her mouth. By the end, she need a kleenex to catch the drool from such a giant wad of gum in her mouth.

Here is the big story for me, though. I learned that I need to have one of those Oprah fashion make overs. I bought a new purse, new shoes and a new dress for this occasion. When I walked in, Kathy and George both gushed over my shoes. I was feeling pretty good cause I, of course, like them, too or I wouldn't have bought them. After everyone else had left, Allison picked up my purse and said, "whose purse is this?" I answered, "mine." Her reply was that it didn't look like something I would normally carry. Karen chimed in. "I know. It's really cute, isn't it?" I laughed and said to my sister and my sister in law. "Did you just hear my children diss my fashion sense?" They agreed with my kids! George said she was just thinking about great I looked in that dress and those shoes and how she was liking the new me. Does anyone know Oprah?

I also did something I'm feeling pretty good about. Yesterday morning, I got the idea to make a mini book for Karen's future mother in law using the engagement photos I had taken. I had a set of 8 round drink coasters I bought at Michaels for 50 cents. I covered each of them with some BG Euphoria paper, inked the edges purple, matted the wallet pics I had made and put them on each side of the coasters except for the front one. I used my cropodile to punch a hole in each and then connected them with a binder ring and tied some ribbons to it. I put a thicker title (in love) on the front, slapped a pink heart and a turquoise butterfly punch on it and called it good. It took me about 2 hours to make and I was starting to sweat the time before I had to leave for the shower. I gave it to her and she cried as she looked at it. That reaction was all the thanks I needed. My only regret? I forgot to take a picture of it!

13 comments:

Marti said...

Looks like Karen had a lot of fun and it sounds like you did too. And I think you look fab in your new dress too.

I love that you got such an emotional reponse from Karen's future MIL. She sounds like a keeper to me. I would have loved to have seen that mini-album. Maybe one day you can get a pic!

camport said...

I love to make people cry with homemade presents!

LOL at your Oprah story. Sounds like something I'd say to my mom. She always says, "I can't buy that, it looks too young." And I respond, "Ok. I'll go find the old lady clothes..."

:)

NoraAnne said...

awww, too bad you didn't get a picture, it sounds like such a nice gift! and you look pretty in your new dress!

Unknown said...

Want to see the album....
Looks like she had a great time, she looks awesome and so do you

Linda.B said...

Detta,
You do look beautiful. I can comment on style, but I do see a difference!

Linda

Allison said...

Oh man, I LOVE those quickie projects that turn out well. I mean... it made someone cry! How much better can you get than that? :) Sounds like a fun time!!

Mel Place said...

beautiful journal detta!i been to a couple of showers and the games are so fun it nothing like when i got hitch.LOL
PSSSS...U LOOK AWESOME TOO!

Jen Martakis said...

It looks like it was such a wonderful shower! How beautiful (and so very happy) you guys look!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a fun shower! The pictures are great:-)

Martha said...

How exciting! Are you ready for the wedding...my sister's wedding is next week. We're getting ready, going to help her tie up favor boxes!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Ok, I'll try again! I was trying to say that this is an awesome post of your fun day and that you look great in contacts!

Carla said...

Looks like you all had a great time. Love the idea of the drink coaster mini album!