Monday, July 9, 2007

Do you have a song that speaks to you?

On the 4th of July, my niece was telling me how every time she hears the song "Wide Open Spaces" by the Dixie Chicks, she is reminded of her first drive to college with her mother and how they sang to it. She said that every time her mother would call her that first semester, she would hear that song playing in the background. I also have a song that speaks to me. If you knew me, you would probably laugh but it was definitely me back then. The 70s were some wonderful years.

To this day, whenever I hear the song, Radar Love by Golden Earring, I’m seventeen years old again. I’m in the car with Curtis, the windows are rolled down, and we are just driving around enjoying being in love. The radio is blaring. Our whole lives are ahead of us. Things are so simple and life is good.

When she's lonely and the longing gets too much
She sends a cable comin' in from above
We don't need no phone at all
We've got a thing that's called radar love
We've got a wave in the air, radar love

Do you have a song that speaks to you? Tell me about it. Everyone who responds will go into a drawing for a set of Heidi Swapp chipboard letters. I'll draw on Saturday.

Also, Thanks to all who voted for me over at Scrapbook Playground. I have moved on to another round. The challenge this week is to use 3 items from my stash that might be considered "dated." This is a challenge for me. I really only have a huge stash of paper, chipboard, buttons and flowers. There are a few things tucked away that I have some ideas for, though. I've just never been an embellishment hoarder.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Detta! I just knew you would! Also, I totally know what you mean about songs taking you back to times/places/feelings.

I have so many, but the one that really comes to mind is "Dr. Dr." (I'm not even sure that's the title) by Thompson Twins. My brother and I listened to that album and song so much (on our 30min drives home from school). Reminds me of how much fun we had in high school and how close we were and are.

Thanks for the nudge to remember this...think I feel a page coming on (heh-heh)!

Anonymous said...

The song that speaks to me is "The River" by Garth Brooks. It is sort of my mantra, my whole family knows it.Here is the link for the lyrics, it is something i am always trying to teach my kids, don't just sit idly by, grab life by the horns and have fun!

http://www.lyrics007.com/Garth%20Brooks%20Lyrics/The%20River%20Lyrics.html

Debbie said...

The song that I love lately is My Wish by Rascal Flatts. I think of my little Drew when I hear that song.

Theresa Tyree said...

Congrats, girlfriend!! Your layout that you created from this challenge looks fantastic. You're a shoe-in for sure!

You don't have to put me in the drawing but I wanna tell you a song that strikes a cord in my heart every time I hear it. It's "I'm Carrying Your Love With Me" by George Strait. It came out around the same time that my son Ryan flew to Missouri for the first time. I missed him the whole summer while he was gone visiting his dad. Everytime I hear this song to this day, I think of my son.

buzzcut said...

I'm a country music listener from way back and whenever I hear Shenandoah's "Next to you, next to me", I always think of my dad and sister and that's their song to dance to. We used to go out dancing a lot together and that's their song. I am so blessed to have them as my family!