Friday, July 27, 2007

A thoroughly modern fairy tale

Thanks to my sister, Kathy for my laugh today.

This is the fairy tale that we should have been reading as little Girls!

Once upon a time,
~~~~~~~~

in a land far away,

~~~~~~~~
a beautiful, independent,
~~~~~~~~
self-assured princess

~~~~~~~~
happened upon a frog as she sat,
~~~~~~~~
contemplating ecological issues
~~~~~~~~
on the shores of an unpolluted pond

~~~~~~~~
in a verdant meadow near her castle.
~~~~~~~~
The frog hopped into the princess' lap
~~~~~~~~
and said: Elegant Lady,
~~~~~~~~
I was once a handsome prince,
~~~~~~~~
until an evil witch cast a spell upon me.
~~~~~~~~
One kiss from you, however,
~~~~~~~~
and I will turn back

~~~~~~~~
into the dapper, young prince that I am
~~~~~~~~
and then, my sweet, we can marry
~~~~~~~~
and set up housekeeping in your castle
~~~~~~~~
with my mother,
~~~~~~~~
where you can prepare my meals,
~~~~~~~~

clean my clothes, bear my children,
~~~~~~~~
and forever

~~~~~~~~
feel grateful and happy doing so.
~~~~~~~~
That night,
~~~~~~~~
as the princess dined sumptuously
~~~~~~~~

on lightly sautéed frog legs
~~~~~~~~
seasoned in a white wine
~~~~~~~
and onion cream sauce,
~~~~~~~~
she chuckled and thought to herself:

~~~~~~~~
I don't #%$& think so

3 comments:

Debbie said...

That is so cute!

Anonymous said...

Indeed! (Oh, and yum!)

Theresa Tyree said...

Hee hee!!