Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Let's talk about Grandmothers

Seth calls me Grandma and he calls Curtis Grandpa. That was our choice. I like the sound of it. My kids and my siblings' kids call my mom, Grandma, too. My dad was also grandpa. When I was growing up, my grandparents were grandma and grandpa. My nieces and nephews call their other grandparents by an assortment of many names. My sister, Kathy married into a Hispanic family and her kids call their grandparents Ito and Ita which is the shortened version of Abuelito and Abuelita. My brother Albert's kids call theirs Nanny and PawPaw. Theresa's kids call their great grandmother, Granny. When Seth was born, my mother wanted him to call her something different than Grandma. She chose Busha. She is Polish. Busha is what she called her grandmother. I looked up Grandmother in Polish and is spelled Babcia. What did you call your grandparents? How did the name get chosen?

2 comments:

GLOANN said...

Grandmotherhood - what a wonderful institution! All of mine call me Grandmommy because that's what Sarah (the oldest one who is now 21) began calling me as soon as she could talk. Sometimes it seems a little childish coming from the older ones, but I love it anyway.

Love reading your blog! Never have to wonder if I will read something that is offensive to a Christian. And I love your dress; it is beautiful and what a bargain!

Gloria (GLOANN)

Anonymous said...

I called my mom's mom BABCIA too. And her dad was Dziadzia (pronounced ja-ja). My grandbaby calls me NANA cuz when growing up, our DD liked the book Nana Upstairs, Nana downstairs. Took a little while to get used to because no one else in may family was called that, but I really like it now! :)